The third quartet presents the "Tony Williams All Stars" for one song, "Open Fire". In July 1978, Tony welcomed rock guitarist Ronnie Montrose, who had recently finished touring to promote his jazz fusion influenced Open Fire album. The group was rounded out with Brian Auger and Mario Cipollina as they toured Japan. The concert at Japan's Denen Coliseum was recorded and other songs on the set list included "Rocky Road" and "Heads Up" from Open Fire, "Red Alert" and "Wildlife" from Believe It, "There Comes a Time" from Ego, "Dragon Song" from Brian Auger's Oblivion Express and "Capricorn" with special guest Billy Cobham.
It would be an understatement to say that there was a fair amount of variety on this set. Drummer Tony Williams is heard in two duets with keyboardist Jan Hammer, with a quartet also including keyboardist Herbie Hancock, Tom Scott (who unfortunately sticks to lyricon) and bassist Stanley Clarke, and he welcomes rock guitarist Ronnie Montrose, keyboardist Brian Auger, guitarist George Benson, Hammer and tenorman Michael Brecker on other tracks. Much of this music is closer to R&B than to jazz, although there are many strong moments. But the most interesting selection is certainly "Morgan's Motion" which matches Williams with pianist Cecil Taylor in a powerful (and completely atonal) collaboration.
Track listing and Personnel
- "Going Far" (Jan Hammer) - 4:13 Keyboards, Synthesizers - Jan Hammer
- "Hip Skip" (George Benson) - 8:03 Guitar - George Benson, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Hammer, Electric bass - Paul Jackson, Saxophone - Michael Brecker, Percussion - Ralph MacDonald
- "Hittin' on 6" (Tom Scott) - 6:16 Lyricon - Tom Scott, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Herbie Hancock, Electric bass - Stanley Clarke
- "Open Fire" (Ronnie Montrose, Edgar Winter) - 6:18 Electric guitar - Ronnie Montrose, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Brian Auger, Electric bass - Mario Cipollina
- "Tony" (Stanley Clarke) - 6:50 Lyricon - Scott, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Hancock, Electric bass - Clarke
- "Eris" (Hammer) - 3:33 Keyboards, Synthesizers - Hammer
- "Coming Back Home" (Hammer) - 6:06 Guitar - Benson, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Hammer, Electric bass - Jackson
- "Morgan's Motion" (Cecil Taylor) - 8:18 Concert grand piano - Cecil Taylor
- Drums on all tracks - Tony Williams