Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Larry Coryell - 1975 [2018] "The Restful Mind"

The Restful Mind is an album by jazz guitarist Larry Coryell. The album was released in 1975 by Vanguard with Ralph Towner on guitar, Glen Moore on bass, and Collin Walcott on percussion. The album was produced by Daniel Weiss and engineered by David Baker. The album reached number 35 on the jazz albums chart.

Guitarist Larry Coryell recorded several sessions for the Vanguard label during the '70s with varying results. He did manage two classics, Spaces, and this one, The Restful Mind. It is no small coincidence that the better the personnel he surrounded himself with, the better he played. On Spaces, the presence of John McLaughlin and Chick Corea raised his playing to another level. Here, with the backing of the group Oregon (with the exception of Paul McCandless), who were also signed to Vanguard at this time), bring out a more reflective and relaxed Coryell. His tendency to fall back on his chops was always a weak spot in his playing, but it is thankfully absent here. Both of the "Improvisation" pieces are highlights in Coryell's career, which along with the other beaufitul selections, make this one of his best, and certainly most overlooked, recordings.

I had gotten into Larry Coryell through John McLaughlin and the first Coryell CD I bought was the fusion classic, "Spaces". This album is still known as Coryell's best, simply because of the musicians that played with him on the album - McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Miroslav Vitous, Chick Corea (one track only) - each one a fusion giant. But it is "Restful Mind" that I find myself playing constantly, over and over again.

This album is more of an acoustic setting and features the great group Oregon - Collin Walcott, Ralph Towner, and Glen Moore (no Paul McCandless though)as Larry's backing musicians. They are a jazz band but with more of a world music flavor to them. Their playing along with Coryell's is exquisite to say the least.

All the tracks are excellent but it is "Ann Arbor" and "Song for Jim Webb" that really stand out. The album is very short at only 36 minutes but it is 36 minutes that will keep you enthralled.

I have read that Coryell has done many mediocre and forgettable stuff in his career, but when he was placed with talented musicians like John McLaughlin or the guys in Oregon, he always raised his playing to another level. This album is a perfect example of this statement.

If you like jazz whether acoustic or fusion (or both like me) or just great guitar, you will fall in love with this album like I did.

Larry Coryell's "Resful Mind" is a classic of the mid-70s that has recently been reissued on CD. I've returned to the recording at this point becuase it really exemplifies a new, broader, notion of fusion, almost exclusively ACOUSTIC. Larry is joined here by Oregon (Ralph Towner, Colin Walcott, and Glenn Moore). The music draws on everything from Classical to Country. Perhaps the most famous track to emerge from these sessions is "Julie La Belle" with its groovy stomp and rude twang. The coda to this tune as well as the concluding solo piece "Restful Mind" are mesmerizing. I'd also add that "The Restful Mind" has a coherence and SPIRIT that breathes throughout the record and that gives it a special identity. "Ann Arbor" and "Song for Jim Webb" are outstanding examples of Coryell's artistry.

I have waited years for the CD version of this old album. Now wonderfully remasterd, the playing is magical: incredibly soft passages followed by fire. Technically precise, but full of emotion. My favorite is perhaps Ravel's "Pavane for a Dead Princess," but all the numbers are terrific. And, despite its title, this CD rocks. For Coryell fans, a "must-have." For me, a desert-island disc. Really, really superb!

https://jazz-rock-fusion-guitar.blogspot.com/search?q=Larry+Coryell

Tracks Listing:

1. Improvisation On Robert De Visee's Menuet II (8:13)
2. Ann Arbor (5:01)
3. Pavane For A Dead Princess (5:40)
4. Improvisation On Robert De Visee's Sarabande (5:20)
5. Song For Jim Webb (3:15)
6. Julie La Belle (4:07)
7. Restful Mind (3:12)

Total Time: 36:22

Personnel:

    Larry Coryell – acoustic guitar, electric guitar
    Ralph Towner – guitar
    Glen Moore – double bass
    Collin Walcott – congas, tabla

24 comments:

  1. https://www56.zippyshare.com/v/cZctpftu/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I’m concerned whatever was written about Coryell being mediocre or forgettable is pure nonsense. EVERYTHING he did was original and great. Listen to it all!

      Delete
  2. Man, you always seem to come up with gems! Thank you so much!

    -RoBurque

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missing this one, many, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb and a must have indeed.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many Thanks!!! - James

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you didn't publish my google comment, here it is again...

    https://www56.zippyshare.com/v/cZctpftu/file.html 403 Forbidden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry friend, the link is good. Zippyshare is banned in your country :-(

      Delete
    2. If you are in the UK you will now need to use a VPN to get the zippy link.

      Delete
  7. Thank you!! an enjoyable gem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for the upgrade, Crimhead...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly appreciate your work, Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a very capable individual!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This post posted at this site is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought this album on its vinyl copy in 1975 and release time. I was 21 years of age then and the music in this album I found so timeless. I just purchased Larry Coryell's 11th House album a year before this, with it's wild but very clean jazz fusion numbers.
    I'm looking today by searching for information on the Restful Mind album as I just bought it as a CD version for the first time.
    Although I bought two vinyl copoies over the years, the second was a little different looking vanguard label but the identical pressing from the earlier first one that I bought. The second vinyl pressing was used but I took it as I found it in better condition than my overplayed earlier copy.
    What I'm hoping to ask someone that's more of an afficionato of the personnel playing on the album, and I must say that I I saw the group Oregon playing for free in the open Pioneer Courthouse Square in downtown Portland, [still my hometown today after 66 years,] in the early 1990s, as my wife and I were merely driving by one day to accidentally discover this.
    I saw them break from the music, and that Ralph Towner was standing behind the stage.
    I had to walk over to him and tell him what an honor it was to see them play for free and live for my first time. I asked him what it was like to play with Larry on this restful Mind album. and Ralph said right before we started the recording, Larry walked over to me and said now look man, you're going to be in the right track and I'm in the left track, and this is my album, so don't try to outplay me. I also asked Towner what he would recommend is his favorite album that they recorded because I don't own an Oregon album yet, but had only listened to a few that my brother had back in the early 70s. Ralph recommended their Blue Sun album.
    But what I'd really like to know and why I'm writing here today, is that there is a piano in the opening of one track, I believe it's the 5th track, Song for Jim Webb, on this album, but there's no credit in the liner notes to who is playing piano. I read somewhere that Chick Corea sat in and played that piano but I don't understand why he's not credited. All these years I thought it was Ralph Towner playing the piano in that piece. Also I thought I saw some other online site that indicated John McLaughlin sat in on one of these pieces, and I think it's the second track, Ann Arbor, as it speeds up in tempo, there seems to be three guitars playing in collaboration at times.
    I hope to hear a response to my inquiries here and I haven't even figured out if this message will take because I don't understand the login procedure I hope it publishes when I strike the button to publish.
    Thanks again for the info, and I really appreciate your fine words about Larry's restful Mind Album overall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I meant to edit a little more, as it appears I left some voice text typos, and uncapitalized proper nouns and titles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much for another nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Crimhead - Could you perhaps re-up this on another host? Cheers -- Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. https://workupload.com/file/9adFMNm9RwN

    ReplyDelete