What a gathering of heavyweights, doing tasteful interpretations of some of the best that jazz has to offer! I saw the video of this performance in Japan (1992) before youtube took it down on a copyright beef, and what comes through is the sheer joy and respect that these players demonstrated in performing this bad boy together. Very nicely edited and remastered for CD.
As I said when I reviewed another GRP All-Star Big Band recording, the whole idea was to do big band arrangements of the greatest bebop tunes ever written. The only difference is that this one was performed live.
The musicians are among the finest jazzmen in the world, the arrangements magnificent.......The only tune that wasn't especially for bop is "Sing, Sing Sing" but it's not the way Benny Goodman would have played it. "Oleo" is one of my favorites. They do a few tunes which were on the other one, like "Blue Train"; "Manteca"; "Sister Sadie" but it doesn't take away from the CD itself. If you like big band music, bebop & listening to the world's best jazz musicians, add it to your collection.
This recording puts together the best soloist and bandsmen nxt to each other. Sandoval, Marienthal, Brecker, Finley, Rangell, Scott, Mintzer, Pattituci, Grusin, just to name a few. Some of the best solo work I have ever heard.
One of the best modern big band executions to date. Plenty of energy and lots of brief and exciting solos. Will get you jumping with the complex rythms and improvisations. World class collection of musicians make this one of my very favorite CDs in any category.
This is my favorite big band album. Awesome performances all around. Highlight for me was Manteca with Arturo Sandoval notes that are off the charts!
For big band lovers, this is it ! A very beautiful collection of professional musicians at the peak of their art with Gary Burton as a bonus. Excellent atmosphere, excellent choice of material and excellent sound. A must. Enjoy !
- "Oleo" (Sonny Rollins) - 7:39
- "My Man's Gone Now" - 7:05
- "Sing, Sing, Sing" (Louis Prima) - 6:58
- "Manteca" (Dizzy Gillespie, Chano Pozo) - 7:33
- "Blues for Howard" - 8:31
- "Cherokee" (Ray Noble) - 5:10
- "Blue Train" (John Coltrane) - 4:43
- "'S Wonderful" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 6:31
- "Sister Sadie" - 7:00
- "GRP Band Introduction/Dave Grusin" - 2:41
- Dave Grusin - piano
- John Patitucci - bass
- Dave Weckl - drums
- Gary Burton - vibraphone
- Tom Scott - conductor, soprano, tenor & baritone sax
- Eric Marienthal - soprano & alto saxophones
- Nelson Rangell - soprano & alto saxophones, flute
- Bob Mintzer - soprano & tenor saxophones, bass clarinet
- Ernie Watts - soprano & tenor saxophones
- Arturo Sandoval -trumpet, flugelhorn
- Chuck Findley - trumpet, flugelhorn
- Randy Brecker - trumpet, flugelhorn
- Byron Stripling - trumpet, flugelhorn
- George Bohanon - trombone
- Phillip Bent - flute
- Eddie Daniels - clarinet
- Russell Ferrante - piano